Software Engineer, Cryptonet
- 🏛️Protocol Labs
- 📅a day ago
About Protocol Labs
Protocol Labs drives breakthroughs in computing to push humanity forward. Protocol Labs is a product-development lab, but behind the protocols and tools we build, behind the research and implementations, are passionate people, teammates, and community members. Most teams in the Protocol Labs Network are fully distributed and work remotely around the world. Engineers, researchers, and operators work in the open to improve the internet — humanity's most important technology — as we explore new advances at the intersection of many exciting fields (crypto, networks, distributed systems) and cultures (startups, research, open-source, distributed work).
Cryptonet is a community of researchers and engineers working on designing, proving and improving the building blocks for crypto-networks to engender new capabilities across the Web 3.0 stack.
The group was founded to drive the creation of Filecoin, but it seeks to facilitate the development and incorporation of cryptographic tools to increase the security and privacy of communication more broadly. Cryptonet is a Protocol Labs, Inc. initiation.
- Cryptography: Filecoin and other Web3.0 technologies rely on the performance and security of cryptographic primitives. Our endeavors include: Proof of Replication, Proof of SpaceTime, SNARKs, Vector Commitments, Verifiable Delay Functions, Verifiable Databases, Threshold Cryptography
- Blockchain: We are working to advance the state of the art of generic blockchain constructions
- Web 3.0: Our projects contribute improvements to the application layer of the Filecoin protocol and its components, including mining, repair, security and storage. These improvements may be generalized to other Web3. technologies
Distributed Systems Engineering in Cryptonet
We are hiring Distributed Systems Engineers to work on implementations of protocols we develop internally at Cryptonet. Enthusiasm about the decentralized web and blockchains has brought an influx of people who want to use distributed systems but who don't know how to build the necessary infrastructure. We are building that infrastructure. To continue that work, we're looking for people who thoroughly understand the principles of distributed systems and cryptography, and who will lean into the challenges of applying those principles in open-source code that will be deployed worldwide.
This requires rigorous engineering from protocol design through all the phases of implementation. We strike a balance between pragmatism (put it on a ship ⛴), deeply informed protocol design, and strict application of strong engineering principles. All of this happens in an environment defined by curiosity, passion, and a love for open source.
As a software engineer in cryptonet, you will...
- Build the next generation of decentralized protocols that will foster innovation in the web3 ecosystem
- Contribute and maintain these implementations
- Contribute to protocol design and specification efforts
- Develop solutions to hard problems in low-trust distributed systems
- Integrate research results and demonstrations into working, scalable programs and systems
- Work alongside an expert team in cryptography and engineering where you will have the opportunity to expand your knowledge drastically.
- Engage and educate the community, from users to contributors
- Lead and develop more junior engineers, and provide guidance and review for open source contributors around the world
You may be a fit for this role if you have....
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, related field or equivalent practical experience
- Significant experience building applications using Go, Rust, or related languages
- A solid understanding of distributed systems principles and applications
- Experience designing and building distributed and/or p2p software systems and applications.
- A strong technical design ability informed by broad experience across multiple domains/specialties
- Literacy with cryptographic principles and practices
- Experience with 1 or more of the following: Smart Contracts, storage platforms, UNIX file systems, VMs (preferred)
- Deep understanding of network protocols such as TCP, UDP, IP
- Proven track record of independently driving projects in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent communication skills on both technical and non-technical issues
- A keen awareness of teamwork, process, and patterns of successful collaboration
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience leading open source projects, and/or guiding their communities
- Security engineering and/or cryptography principles and practices
- Large-scale systems (especially networking, performance, storage, or reliability engineering)
- Experience building with decentralized building blocks such as DHTs, consensus protocols, smart contracts, blockchain, p2p networking, etc.
If you’re passionate about the future of computing and a more democratized internet, we want to talk to you.
GDPR for Job Applicants and Candidates
When you apply to a job on this site, the personal data contained in your application will be collected by Protocol Labs, Inc. (“Protocol Labs”), which is located at 427 N Tatnall St #51207, Wilmington, Delaware 19801 and can be contacted by emailing legalrequests[at]protocol.ai. Protocol Labs’ data protection team can be contacted via legalrequests[at]protocol.ai. Your personal data will be processed for the purposes of managing Protocol Labs’ recruitment related activities, which include setting up and conducting interviews and tests for applicants, evaluating and assessing the results thereto, and as is otherwise needed in the recruitment and hiring processes. Such processing is legally permissible under Art. 6(1)(f) of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation) as necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by Protocol Labs, which are the solicitation, evaluation, and selection of applicants for employment.
Your personal data will be shared with Greenhouse Software, Inc., a cloud services provider located in the United States of America and engaged by Protocol Labs to help manage its recruitment and hiring process on Protocol Labs’ behalf. Accordingly, if you are located outside of the United States, your personal data will be transferred to the United States once you submit it through this site. Because the European Union Commission has determined that United States data privacy laws do not ensure an adequate level of protection for personal data collected from EU data subjects, the transfer will be subject to appropriate additional safeguards.
Your personal data will be retained by Protocol Labs as long as Protocol Labs determines it is necessary to evaluate your application for employment or to assist in the hiring process. Under the GDPR, you have the right to request access to your personal data, to request that your personal data be rectified or erased, and to request that processing of your personal data be restricted. You also have the right to data portability. In addition, you may lodge a complaint with an EU supervisory authority.