Technical Support Engineer - Filecoin Saturn
- 🏛️Protocol Labs
- 📅4 days ago
About Protocol Labs
Protocol Labs drives breakthroughs in computing to push humanity forward. Protocol Labs is a product-development lab, but behind the protocols and tools we build, behind the research and implementations, are passionate people, teammates, and community members. Most teams in the Protocol Labs Network are fully distributed and work remotely around the world. Engineers, researchers, and operators work in the open to improve the internet — humanity's most important technology — as we explore new advances at the intersection of many exciting fields (crypto, networks, distributed systems) and cultures (startups, research, open-source, distributed work).
Filecoin, a decentralized storage network to store humanity's most valuable information, is one of the most promising projects of Web 3.0. In the year since its launch, over 17 exabytes of storage have been pledged to the Filecoin network, which is proven and verified by each node operator every single day. As we look forward, many challenges remain to be solved such as continuing to scale the network, allowing user programmability through the addition of a Virtual Machine, and implementing cutting-edge ideas coming from the latest in cryptographic research.
An integral piece of Filecoin’s success is https://pl-strflt.notion.site/Filecoin-Saturn-efc122f123f344ff8ff0de6071954dba"> style="font-weight: 400;">Saturn, Filecoin’s Content Delivery Network (CDN). Launching soon, people around the world will run Saturn software on their machines – from servers in datacenters to personal desktops and laptops running Windows, OS X, and Linux – to contribute to a global distribution network and be remunerated with Filecoin.
A worldwide delivery network owned, and run, by everyone requires world-class support for everyone. Insofar, we're seeking a Technical Support Engineer, experienced in providing world class support at a software scale, to join the Filecoin Saturn team.
If you enjoy both the technical and human side of engineering, this is the perfect opportunity for you. Work is remote and full time. Hours are regular hours in your local timezone; you won’t be on call.
All your wonderful work will be done in the public, like on Filecoin’s public Slack server, and all your software open sourced.
- Help Saturn node operators in Saturn’s public Slack channel in Filecoin Slack.
- Help Saturn node operators over email.
- Write software to improve and scale Saturn’s support. E.g. write https://xkcd.com/353/"> style="font-weight: 400;">Python scripts, https://github.com/autokey/autokey"> style="font-weight: 400;">AutoKey or browser macros, and internal tools. Operate at software scale, not human scale.
- Improve Saturn’s documentation on Saturn’s website and Github based on questions and feedback from users. Iterate, iterate, iterate.
- Provide technical assistance to users running Saturn on Linux servers in datacenters.
- Provide technical assistance to users running Saturn nodes on personal Windows, OS X, and Linux machines at home.
- Provide technical assistance to websites and apps using Saturn’s CDN.
- Be relentless. Have a "find a way or make a way" attitude.
- Enjoy helping people. Making people happy makes you happy.
- That's it; no school or degree required.
- Understand the web and browsers.
- Understand basic Linux, Windows, and OS X administration.
- Write software to scale yourself.
- Excellent people skills. Communicate clearly.
- Patience and empathy.
Technologies You’ll Use
- Linux, Windows, and OS X.
- Git and markdown for documentation.
Example Success Metrics
- After one month: an established track record of excellent, knowledgeable support over Slack and Email.
- After three months: improved documentation for users and internal software and tools for yourself so you’re N times faster than before
- After twelve months: ability to build, lead, and manage a team around you. Build a support team to scale the human element of support.
- Improve Saturn’s documentation and website based on the questions and feedback received in Slack and over email. The second time someone asks the same question you document and/or automate it. Documentation and software work tirelessly, around the clock while you sleep.
- Write software and tools that make you 10x times faster and more efficient at your job. Think about automating yourself out of a job. It will never happen; but that’s the goal.
You will work closely with Saturn’s entire team but own Saturn’s support product. You will have autonomy and agency to build and scale Saturn’s support as you see fit, and the full resources to see your ambitions through.
For some existing Saturn repositories under active development, see:
- https://github.com/filecoin-project/saturn-node"> style="font-weight: 400;">https://github.com/filecoin-project/saturn-node style="font-weight: 400;">
- https://github.com/filecoin-project/saturn-orchestrator"> style="font-weight: 400;">https://github.com/filecoin-project/saturn-orchestrator >
- https://github.com/filecoin-project/saturn-l2/"> style="font-weight: 400;">https://github.com/filecoin-project/saturn-l2/ style="font-weight: 400;">
If you’re passionate about the future of computing and a more democratized internet, we want to talk to you.
GDPR for Job Applicants and Candidates
When you apply to a job on this site, the personal data contained in your application will be collected by Protocol Labs, Inc. (“Protocol Labs”), which is located at 427 N Tatnall St #51207, Wilmington, Delaware 19801 and can be contacted by emailing legalrequests[at]protocol.ai. Protocol Labs’ data protection team can be contacted via legalrequests[at]protocol.ai. Your personal data will be processed for the purposes of managing Protocol Labs’ recruitment related activities, which include setting up and conducting interviews and tests for applicants, evaluating and assessing the results thereto, and as is otherwise needed in the recruitment and hiring processes. Such processing is legally permissible under Art. 6(1)(f) of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation) as necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by Protocol Labs, which are the solicitation, evaluation, and selection of applicants for employment.
Your personal data will be shared with Greenhouse Software, Inc., a cloud services provider located in the United States of America and engaged by Protocol Labs to help manage its recruitment and hiring process on Protocol Labs’ behalf. Accordingly, if you are located outside of the United States, your personal data will be transferred to the United States once you submit it through this site. Because the European Union Commission has determined that United States data privacy laws do not ensure an adequate level of protection for personal data collected from EU data subjects, the transfer will be subject to appropriate additional safeguards.
Your personal data will be retained by Protocol Labs as long as Protocol Labs determines it is necessary to evaluate your application for employment or to assist in the hiring process. Under the GDPR, you have the right to request access to your personal data, to request that your personal data be rectified or erased, and to request that processing of your personal data be restricted. You also have the right to data portability. In addition, you may lodge a complaint with an EU supervisory authority.