Lead DevOps Engineer
- 📅5 days ago
Figment is the world’s leading provider of blockchain infrastructure. We provide the most comprehensive staking solution for our over 200+ institutional clients including exchanges, wallets, foundations, custodians, and large token holders to earn rewards on their crypto assets. These clients rely on Figment’s institutional staking service including rewards optimization, rapid API development, rewards reporting, partner integrations, governance, and slashing protection. Figment is backed by industry experts, financial institutions and our global team across twenty three countries. This all leads to our mission to support the adoption, growth and long term success of the Web3 ecosystem.
We are a growth stage technology company – looking for people who are builders and doers. People who are comfortable plotting their course through ambiguity and uncertainty to drive impact and who are excited to work in new ways and empower a generative company culture.
About the Role
This is a full-time remote position, with team members in North America and Europe.
We are seeking a Principal DevOps Engineer to help us scale out our operations by planning and implementing projects to manage fleets of blockchain servers. This role presents unique opportunities to be involved in building out tooling where none exists in the industry. You will build production systems that need to handle newer (sometimes alpha quality) blockchain software. You’ll need to consider all aspects of security, monitoring, maintainability, and stability.
- Lead the planning, testing, implementation, and management of projects to deliver scalable, maintainable, secure, and stable deployments across a number of different use cases.
- Identify common areas where automation can significantly increase our ability to manage all our infrastructure.
- Identify areas of systemic risk, and then evaluate, propose, and implement solutions
- Manage and monitor cloud and physical servers across multiple global hosting services and data centers
- Automation of blockchain software build, install, and management processes
- Linux server administration, hardening, intrusion detection, and vulnerability scanning
- Debugging complex distributed blockchains to help run them smoothly
- Identify tasks and processes that get stuck or move slowly and support the team in pushing them through.
- Explain broad initiatives and vision to Engineering Leadership and Product.
- Demonstrate technical expertise in multiple domains and act as a mentor to others on the team.
- In-depth experience supporting Linux servers in large environments with over 500 servers, preferably in highly secure and highly available 24/7 environments. Deep troubleshooting expertise to quickly identify server, network, and application issues, and methodical approach to implementing, testing, and measuring changes to remediate issues. Experience troubleshooting complex application flows which span multiple clusters of systems. Knowledge of common OS and application level settings to optimize system performance.
- Experience with common system administration scripting languages such as bash and Python.
- In-depth experience using Ansible (or similar tools) to environments with over 500 servers. Experience designing complex static and dynamic inventories, variable structures, and playbooks. Writing custom Ansible roles from scratch with advanced features of Ansible such as Jinja2 templating, complex logic flows, dynamic role/task includes, and handlers. Strong focus on ensuring idempotency & reusability and following best practices where they make sense.
- In-depth experience creating well organized modules with Terraform to ensure cloud provisioning automation can be easily reused. Experience creating image build pipelines with Packer.
- Deep understanding of networking and security best practices
- Experience with Hashicorp Vault or other secure storage tools.
- Experience working in environments with high security requirements.
Nice to have, but not required
- Ansible role testing with Molecule (or similar tools) and Ansible module development experience
- Knowledge of, or experience with, Proof-of-Work and Proof-of-Stake decentralized consensus mechanisms used in blockchains
- Experience running applications on Kubernetes
- Experience creating CI/CD pipelines from scratch to automate infrastructure provisioning and deploy applications (GitHub Actions or similar tools)
One of Figment’s core principles is “Making the Invisible Visible” - ensuring transparency and information sharing in all communication. Figment is committed to transparency regarding pay, benefits, and other compensation types for all internal roles as well as all roles being hired for.
Base Salary: The US base salary range for this position is $150,000 - $185,000. The CAD base salary range for this position is $150,000 - $185,000. This range reflects base salary only, and does not include additional compensation or benefits. For candidates in other countries, the pay range will be disclosed upon your first interview with Figment (being a globally remote company, the list of salary ranges would simply be too long to note here!). The range displayed reflects the minimum and maximum range for a new hire across all of the US. A candidate’s specific pay within the range will be determined by various factors including job-related skills, relevant education, and training.
Benefits: All employees of Figment receive the following competitive benefits. For candidates beyond Canada and the US, benefits will be outlined during your first interview with Figment.
- 100% remote-first environment, with co-working spaces in our employee “hubs” across the globe for those who enjoy a hybrid model
- 4 weeks of PTO that kick in day one, with an additional 1 week of flex days
- Extended company-paid health benefits that kick in day one
- Best in class parental leave and flexible arrangements
- A home office stipend to create a space that you enjoy working in
- Monthly Wifi reimbursement
- A yearly Learning & Development budget
- 401K (US) or RRSP match (Canada)
- Stock Options in the company
- Competitive bonus (based on company performance) that is distributed quarterly - we believe that the company’s success should be shared with our employees often
- For roles listed within the Sales Department, there is instead a competitive commissions structure which will be outlined during your first interview with Figment
- Annual onsite company gatherings and retreats to inspire team bonding, collaboration, and fun!
- A culture of honesty, professionalism and risk taking in a high-growth environment
Figment is a remote-first company operating with a global footprint across 23 countries. Are you interested in helping us build the future of digital assets?